Does my client’s insurance cover me as a driver of their vehicle?

Does my client’s insurance cover me as a driver of their vehicle?

A question you should be asking: Does my client’s insurance cover me as a driver of their vehicle?

Here is something not often talked about, especially when compared to discussions like Glock vs Sig, etc. However, you should never use social media popularity as a barometer of importance. That being said – have you ever thought about this issue?

For more info on our Defensive / Evasive Driving Course:

IMPE, I have only seen it addressed by actual chauffeurs, and at the time of this posting, I have never seen it addressed by any other EP provider. (That is not to say no other EP company does, my statement is limited to my own direct experience)
So how can we make sure we are covered when driving the client’s vehicle?
Some that I have asked this question to mention their own insurance covers them when driving other vehicles. However, for most major insurance companies, this is not exactly correct – in general, insurance may follow the car, and does not necessarily follow the driver. Also… your coverage is likely based on your driving habits and your vehicle, not the client’s, which is likely different and their vehicle likely much more expensive. This being the case, I would not offer this as a viable solution.

See our training schedule and locations here:

There are two primary ways we can ensure we are insured – permissive use and commercial coverage.
Commercial coverage is rare, expensive, and dependent on the insurance company and state. If your client has commercial coverage, you will have to review the policy details.
Permissive use is the most practical way for you to ensure you are covered by the client’s insurance. Permissive use varies between insurance companies, so make sure to check with your client’s insurance provider on how to ensure your compliance. In general, there are two ways to ensure compliance with permissive use – verbal/written authorization from the policy holder, or being added to their policy as an insured driver. Naturally, verbal authorization means that if there is a claim, the policy holder mist attest to giving verbal authorization. Written authorization can be anything that clearly states (name) driver has (policy holder’s) permission to drive (year, make, model) car. Obviously being added to the policy is the best way, but this seemingly easy task will be more difficult to accomplish than you think, especially if you have a rotation of drivers, turnover, etc.
Informative links:
Joseph M. LaSorsa, CPP® is currently a senior partner managing and conducting: Protective Operations Training Courses, Executive Protection & Bodyguard Services, Risk Management Consultations & Seminars, Security Expert Witness Testimony, Workplace Violence Prevention Seminars & Intervention Services, Security Consultations & Seminars, Private Investigations and Technical Surveillance Counter-Measures with LaSorsa & Associates – an International Protection, Investigations & Consulting Firm.

Leave a Reply